Pen[man]ship: They Men Balanghai


I had no further expectations yesterday than to watch a great play staged by PETA. As I arrived the venue (as if coming from a maze hunt), I was given free tickets. While waiting for the start of the show, most were taking pictures of themselves rather than place itself.  

Pete Lacaba came to the theater early. Initially, no one would ask to take picture with him. It seemed that no one below the roof (except the organizers and other guests) knew him, physically. Until someone divulged his identity that the people waged war to take a picture of him. I easily recalled his story. During the Martial Law times, he was imprisoned (as it was a fad that time). He gained his freedom with the help of the Hispanic fixated Nick Joaquin. Some of his writings are present in Balanghai – an anthology of Philippine Literature. He taught us to eat ayungin  and helped us differentiate the burges from bakya while introducing us to modern view of literature. Sir Pete asked where we read his writings, I gladly replied, ”Balangai”  


Bien Lumbera. Not until the theater recognized his presence as Pambansang Alagad ng Sining, no jaw would fall to the ground. I met him more than twice over. He has this inexplicable radiance. Lumbera is a simple old man who knows the Philippine letters by heart. He would be simple in every manner he has. I remember his social criticism entitled Bakit Asal Mayaman si Pedrong Maralita – an eye opener of our dreadful society rooted in the education that we have. I declined to go near him because of the discouraging crowd. It was fulfilling enough to see him from a far.


Genaro Gojo Cruz. My classmates, especially Froe and Charelene Jadia, would know this man by heart. He currently writes for children and promotes local literary works. He generously gave us tickets for the D’Wonder Twins of Boac which I never knew that it guaranteed VIP seats.  Grazie! My March 2, 2013 would never be completed without this mentor.
Yesterday was buena mano for March – a month of bloodbath from a pile of works. I hope to have this cool experience the coming days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment